Film Review: The Three Musketeers 3D

UPDATED 1/1/12: Added one more T3M review (from Ashley Visco) for you to read below! Check it out!

Ok, we (as in P&P Blog's Jeane, Christy, Ashley) all saw The Three Musketeers 3D film starring Matthew Macfadyen about a couple months ago or so when it was released, but have not been able to post our reviews here as we've been busy with so many things including posting here a few (with giveaways) and this holiday season and just now finally got to post our combine reviews for this film here.  

Well, better late than never, right?

 Check out and read our reviews of T3M 3D film below...


 The Three Musketeers in 3D (2011)
starring Matthew Macfadyen, Luke Evans, Ray Stevenson,
Logan Lerman, Milla Jovovich, Orlando Bloom,
Christoph Waltz, and Juno Temple
 

Watch the trailer #2 for The Three Musketeers
(source: )

Film Review: The Three Musketeers 3D by
Ashley Visco 
I. Am. BIG. On. Books. Particularly, classic literature. But surprisingly, The Three Musketeers by Alexandre Dumas is something I've never taken up reading. Due to my ardent love for anything over one hundred years old, my interest was instantly peaked by a new adaptation of this famous novel-not to mention the fact that Matthew Macfadyen (the man we all know and love!) would be playing what he called 'the James Bond' of that time period. However, I did have my doubts. "It's in 3D? What if it looks all weird?" or "Orlando Bloom, a villain?" were the kinds of skeptical questions constantly popping in and out of my brain (along with a frequent "Will Matthew get enough screen time?!"). But as I watched more and more interviews, behind-the-scenes videos, and sneak peeks my wavering worry gradually uplifted into excited anticipation, leading up to one big heck of a bang once I actually got to the theater.

This obsessed-with-all-archaic girl absolutely loved this modern take on a well-known story. The acting was great (particularly Matthew's, I thought-but perhaps I have a biased opinion…), the action exciting and captivating, the jokes actually laugh-out-loud worthy, and the cinematography absolutely beautiful. And then there was the 3D. Far too often, movies nowadays are advertised as being in SPECTACULAR THREE-DIMENSION! So you go to the movie theatre, stick on your stupid glasses…and realize that it looks exactly the same. But The Three Musketeers was actually enhanced by the 3D! Everything was more vivid,  and the images more sharp, surprisingly increasing the movie experience tenfold! It looked as though the musketeers were actually lunging they're swords through the screen! (And I didn't even see it in Imax!) Another big worry was that Matthew would have to-yet again-be the saving grace of his film, because all the other acting would be awful. Again, another pleasant surprise! I enjoyed each and every one of the characters and thought them very believable. All but Milla Jovovich (sorry to those who strongly disagree). Although I may just be jealous that she got to snog Matthew's face off in the opening scene… But the musketeers, I loved! Matthew, Ray Stevenson, and Luke Evans I thought worked fabulously together, along with the young (but very talented!) Logan Lerman.

It may not have been a straitlaced adaptation of classic literature, but it certainly gave a famous novel a lovely modern twist that just may appeal to this generation, and perhaps grant to all the stubborn young a new respect for literature. I for one will be reading Alexandre Dumas's novel very soon.

Oh, and Matthew could have had more screen time… 


Film Review - The Three Musketeers 3D by  

Dateline: Saturday Morning (Six months earlier) Facebook is most amusing on a quiet Saturday morning as I wait for my family to wake up. Given my affection for all things Darcy and the warm affection that I hold for the Devoted Fans of Pride and Prejudice group that I now refer to as my "Darcy Friends", I was most delighted to see the first photos of Matthew Macfadyen as "Athos" in the upcoming Three Muskeeters 3D.

The morning went something like this...

The family awakes to begin a new day as I serve breakfast. Such is my enthusiasm; the conversation that morning began something like this...

Me: "I want to go see the new Three Musketeers movie!"
My husband: "I've never known you to show much interest in Three Musketeers!"
Me (Grinning): "OH! But I do now!"

My husband is right. Even though I am familiar with the Alexandre Dumas' classic, it is not one that I would call a favorite. The appeal of this film? Matthew Macfadyen.

(*THUD*)

Matthew Macfadyen's voiceover opens the film and I am spellbound as I sense a familiar presence with the person masked in armor in the water... Sure enough, it is Matthew Macfadyen as Athos!

(*Thud* Indeed!)

Simply put...it is a wonderful film! Why?

This is D'artagnan's story to tell. The film opens to see young D'Artagnan with humble beginnings, the most supportive of parents, and he is full of ambition as he leaves home for Paris to become a Musketeer.

Young D'Artagnan arrives in Paris. There is an immediate altercation concerning his horse "Buttercup" and in short order of events challenges others to no less than three duels and all done before 2 P.M.

Among his challengers? The Three Musketeers!

Yes, I am a huge fan of Matthew Macfadyen and he gives a wonderful performance as Athos. Yet, D'Artagnan (Played by Logan Lerman) steals the show. Action packed throughout, D'Artagnan is full of ambition and youthful energy. What is perceived as cockiness at the beginning of the film turns into well-earned confidence in the end. Outstanding Performance!

The Three Musketeers as a group are fun, entertaining, and great performances by all! D'Artagnan steals this show and young ladies be warned, he may also steal your heart.

Film Rating: 4.5 out of 5 Stars! 

I must say that this movie was good, but not great. I was disappointed that it wasn't an amazing movie that I expected it to be as I had high expectations for this film especially with such talented ensemble cast and the director who directed RE movies that I've enjoyed watching. I guess I expected too much. Still, It was good and I enjoyed watching this film for what it was. It was fun and entertaining to watch though. Matthew Macfadyen as Athos was the highlight and the best thing to watch for me in this film. I loved and enjoyed watching every scene he was in and hearing his beautiful voice as the narrator of this film. I was pleasantly surprised that in the opening scene (and the first 5 minutes), the first thing I heard was his beautiful voice (as a narrator in this film) and first character/musketeer I've seen was his character, who leads the 3 Musketeers. I thought that was very cool! Matthew Macfadyen was excellent in this film. He did great in his narration (kudos to the director and producers for letting him narrate in this film...his voice is just beautiful to listen to!), acting, and fight scenes. I loved his one-liners in this film too such as "D'Artagnan, you want to be a musketeers? This is your chance." "It was an off-day" and "Round Two." and the way he said "Bukingham," sounded like "Wickham" (as in Mr. Wickham of P&P movie), lol...

Read my full Film Review: The Three Musketeers 3D

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Birthday Rosamund Pike!

Top 10 Favorite Pride & Prejudice Movie Quotes

P&P Movie Script