Pride and Prejudice Quotes from Novel to Film (Chapter 1)

I previously posted here about the Most Memorable Quotes from Pride & Prejudice (2005) film and they were mostly memorable quotes taken from the movie that were written by best-selling novelist and P&P screenwriter Deborah Moggach (including additional lines that were written by ), and not taken from the book. On this post, however, I thought I'd compile all the quotes/dialogues from the movie's script that were either taken directly from the novel or adapted and worded slightly different, but still remain similar (and probably done so on purpose to make the lines and dialogues easier to understand for modern and international audiences watching the 2005 film) to the original source.

So, basically, I'm posting here both similar quotes from the page, as in Jane Austen's timeless classic (204 years old) novel Pride and Prejudice comparing it to the screen adaptation, Pride & Prejudice (2005) film's (starring Keira Knightley and Matthew Macfadyen) own screenplay. I will try to post here every chapter or rather by chapter from the book to see which lines/dialogue were used exactly the same in the movie (as I thought a lot of Austen's beautiful words from the novel, especially the most important and memorable ones were used and kept in the film) or worded slightly different (but still similar in meaning). I will include screen captures from the movie to accompany you while you read below both quotes from P&P movie and book.

We'll start with Chapter 1, but first...

Here's an interesting comments/interview from the P&P (2005) screenwriter relating to her own script and Austen's novel...

Deborah Moggach - adapts Pride & Prejudice screenplay (from Novel to Screen)
“I tried to be truthful to the book, which has a perfect three-act structure, so I haven’t changed a lot. It is so beautifully shaped as a story: the ultimate romance about two people who think they hate each other but who are really passionately in love. I felt, `If it’s not broken, don’t fix it.’ (Deborah Moggach, Screenwriter and novelist)

In her adaptation, Moggach paid extra attention to Jane Austen’s dialogue. She explains, “I’ve sort of pulled a comb through the dialogue; of course, you can’t reproduce Austen’s fiercely wonderful dialogue in its entirety. But we’ve kept quite a lot of it, because it’s like cooking with the very, very best ingredients. People love the book so much that they know it word for word. It was tempting sometimes to veer scenes towards a line that is so loved, one which you know that if people miss it they will be very upset.”


Pride and Prejudice - Chapter 1

Novel

"My dear Mr. Bennet,'' said his lady to him one day, "have you heard that Netherfield Park is let at last?''

"Do not you want to know who has taken it?''

"You want to tell me, and I have no objection to hearing it.''

"My dear Mr. Bennet,'' replied his wife, "how can you be so tiresome! You must know that I am thinking of his marrying one of them.''

"Is that his design in settling here?''

"Design! nonsense, how can you talk so! But it is very likely that he may fall in love with one of them, and therefore you must visit him as soon as he comes."

"Mr. Bennet, how can you abuse your own children in such way? You take delight in vexing me. You have no compassion on my poor nerves.''

"You mistake me, my dear. I have a high respect for your nerves. They are my old friends. I have heard you mention them with consideration these twenty years at least.''


Pride & Prejudice (2005)

Movie Script

"My dear Mr Bennet, have you heard? Netherfield Park is let at last." (Mrs. Bennet)

"Do you not want to know who has taken it?" (Mrs. Bennet)

"As you wish to tell me, my dear, I doubt I have any choice in the matter." (Mr. Bennet)

"Oh, Mr Bennet, how can you be so tiresome? You know he must marry one of them." (Mrs. Bennet)

"So that is his design in settling here." (Mr. Bennet)

"You must go and visit him at once." (Mrs. Bennet)

"Oh, Mr Bennet, how can you tease me so? Have you no compassion for my poor nerves?" (Mrs. Bennet)
"You mistake me, my dear. I have the highest respect for them. They've been my constant companions these 20 years." (Mr. Bennet)
 
To be continued...with Chapter 2 Chapter 3, in the next post very soon!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Birthday Rosamund Pike!

Top 10 Favorite Pride & Prejudice Movie Quotes

P&P Movie Script